Built in 1908, this is the earliest mercantile building in town. It first housed the Duran Mercantile Company and later the Wm. Hindi Store.
Duran was founded as a stop on the El Paso & Southern Railroad, which linked El Paso & Santa Rosa. In 1908, the Southern Pacific Railroad, which purchased El Paso & Southern Railroad, established Duran as a division point for the maintenance and repair of locomotives and rolling stock.
The town is named for the brothers Blas and Espiridon Duran, who owned the Moreno Wells. The Moreno Wells provided water to railroad workers and provided for the future settlement of Duran.
Visit our Auto Trails channel on YouTube to see our series of historic travel videos–American Auto Trails.