El Paso & Southwestern Railroad
The El Paso & Southwestern Railroad was incorporated in July of 1901 to take over the Arizona & Southeastern, the Southwestern of Arizona, the Southwestern of New Mexico, and the El Paso Terminal Railroads.
All of those railroads were owned or controlled by Phelps, Dodge & Company of New York.(1)
The EI Paso & Southwestern Railroad was incorporated to build a railway line from El Paso, Texas, to Deming, New Mexico, and from Deming to Douglass, Arizona.
In 1914, El Paso & Southwestern acquired and merged the New Mexico & Colorado Railroad. In 1924, the Southern Pacific Company acquired control of the El Paso and Southwestern system.(3)
- Poor’s Manual Railroads of the United States; Poor’s Railroad Manual Company, New York, 1905.
- Annual Reports of the Department of the Interior-United States Congressional Serial Set; Government Printing Office, Washington D.C., 1901.
- Chris Cravens, “El Paso and Southwestern Railroad,” Handbook of Texas Online; https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/el-paso-and-southwestern-railroad