This Victorian Market Hall was first erected by the Town Council in 1870. That building was, however, burnt down in 1889, and re-erected in 1890 and 1891—much extended by the addition of a large hall capable of holding from 3000 to 4000 people, and a new fish market.
Over the years the Market Hall became filled with open stalls. The Council has refurbished the Market Hall to create small shops that reflect the Victorian character of the Market. A tile floor has been laid throughout all three markets (Victorian Market, Market Arcade, and Queensgate Arcade)