Having been through the IRS wringer to secure a 501 (c) (3) rating, I react to questions about flavor and spirit where the Houston County Visitors Center/Museum, Inc. (VC/M) is concerned. We are still fighting to become locally, to complete the transformation of the 1909 railroad depot interior for reuse, to line out what materials and collections we ll accept and how to display them, to secure supporters who will become a Board, to define policies, to find volunteers to keep a schedule, to battle for survival in a location where dopesters and gangs assemble and loot and vandalize down by the railroad tracks , and to fight for funds and refuse to become a reject. There is a need for a museum in this first County signed by order of President Sam Houston of the Republic of Texas on June 12, 1837.
Houston County Historical Commission Chairman Eliza Bishop went before the Railroad Commission in 1982, along with Chamber of Commerce representatives, to attempt to continue the Missouri-Pacific Railroad service and, if not that, to save the depot building and reuse it for a museum. The structure was the third depot, built in 1909 of concrete and brick. In December 1983, the building deed was received by the Commission. The Commission had no funds to continue the museum, and the Historical Projects of Houston County took over the effort and managed the museum until 1991. In May 1993, a non-profit Houston County Visitors Center, Museum Inc., was chartered and its 501 (c) (3) status was received in July 1994.
The museum is currently involved in finishing transformation of the building as drawn and outlined by Architect David Woodcock, and focusing on exhibits and maintenance.
The Houston County Visitors Center/Museum is currently transforming the 1909 railroad depot interior for reuse, and outlining what materials and collections the museum will accept and how to display them. The museum has collection items ranging from ox bows to railroad items. Since this was a cotton farming area until around 1960, the museum has farming tools and an old gin on an adjacent property. We now have Crockett s 1929 Seagraver fire engine. We have also developed an exhibit of Crockett s fire department from organization in 1910 to present day around the truck. A county-wide old drug stores exhibit is underway
Exhibitions, teacher workshops, gallery tours, lectures; available for postage or transportation cost.
303 South First
Crockett, TX 75835
Crockett, TX 75835